Christmas has come early ladies and gents. Heckler and Koch are finally releasing a civilian version of their famed MP-5, called the HK SP5. It is the MP-5 we know and love but, no longer will it be apart of the Clone Wars.
For years American consumers has been pleading with H&K for a civilian version of their iconic MP-5. Made famous by movies like Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, and many others. It is one of the most widely recognizable and distinctive firearms on the market. True H&K MP-5 are a rarity and very expensive transfer only select fire sub machine guns. Leaving us commoners to buy clones from Omega, Atlantic Firearms, or Zenith.
Christmas has come early ladies and gents. The Firearms Blog has breaking news that Heckler and Koch are finally releasing a civilian version of their famed MP-5, called the HK SP5. It is the MP-5 we know and love but, no longer will it be apart of the Clone Wars.
Below is the press release, specs, and pricing from H&K. Along with some photos from The Firearm Blog. They are the ones that are breaking this news. That is from what I know. Here is the link to The Firearm Blog breaking story.
The SP5 was developed by Heckler & Koch as a semiautomatic, civilian sporting pistol that matches the look and feel of the legendary MP5 submachine gun.
Designed and manufactured to meet the definition of a civilian pistol, the SP5 is loaded with authentic features, like a Navy barrel with threaded tri-lug adaptor, paddle magazine release, fluted chamber and chrome-lined bore.
The backbone of the SP5 is the roller-delayed blowback operating system, which is legendary for its accuracy, reliability, and smooth shooting dynamic. Originally perfected on the Heckler & Koch G3 rifle, it has been used on several other HK firearms still serving today around the world.
The SP5 is manufactured in Heckler & Koch’s Oberndorf factory in southwest Germany. It retains many of the critical elements of the MP5, including its precision-machined components and attention to detail. This high level of quality and workmanship is a result of making the SP5 in the same factory, on the same lines, and by the same workforce that has been making MP5s for years.
For more comfortable shooting, the SP5 is equipped with an elastic “bungie” sling. The sling is easily installed by snapping it onto the sling swivel hardware located on the rear of the receiver. Using the sling makes firing the SP5 more stable and reduces fatigue.
HK SP5 Specs
• Caliber: 9mm x 19
• Operating Principle: Recoil operated
• Locking System: Roller-delayed blowback
• Magazine Capacity: 30/15/10
• Cartridge case ejection: Right side
• Length: 17.8 inches / 452 mm
• Width: 2.48 inches / 63 mm
• Height: 8.66 inches / 220 mm
• Barrel length: 8.86 inches / 225 mm
•Weight (without magazine): 5.1 lb (2500 grams)
• Magazine Weight Empty: 30rd-6.3 oz/180 g, 10rd-3.5 oz/110 g
• Trigger pull: 6.74-10.11 pounds-force / 30-45 N (approximate)
• Return Travel: .12 inches / 3 mm
• Trigger Travel: .24 inches / 6 mm
• Sight Radius: 13 inches / 330 mm
• Barrel Profile/Twist: Groove/land profile, 6 grooves, right-hand twist
• Sights: Rotary rear sights, 4 positions
HK SP5 Configurations
• SP5 9mm with two 30rd magazines – 81000477 (UPC 642230259829) MSRP $2799
• SP5 9mm with two 10rd magazines – 81000478 (UPC 642230259812) MSRP $2799
• Magazine, SP5, 9mm, 30 rounds – 206349S (UPC 642230254336) MSRP $80
• Magazine, SP5, 9mm, 15 rounds – 215610S (UPC 642230251809) MSRP $80
• Magazine, SP5, 9mm, 10 rounds – 239257S (UPC 642230255210) MSRP $80
Once more hit the internet regarding the new H&K SP5 information will be updated.
What do you think about H&K finally releasing a civilian version of the MP-5? Will you be purchasing one? Let me know in the comments below.
Thanks For Reading
If you enjoyed this post, hit that like button, share it with a friend, and subscribe. If you have any suggestions, ideas, or comments. Please feel free to drop a comment. Be Humble. Be Savage. Have a great day.